This shaljam ka achar is my Mother in law’s recipe and I had it when I was there in Pakistan. I loved it so much but unable to take it with me here just because it is literally so watery and can’t take any food in carrying on luggage.
I had been literally craving for it and then I called my saas to get the recipe to make myself and it turned out so good. I know its very uncommon achar and but if you like Khatta khana You will like it. She told me an estimated measurement because she is an expert cook who doesn’t follow any measurements or dabay masalay.I am not sure about the weight but I can tell you how many I had used..lol
Turnip: 3-4 medium sized
Garlic:2 whole Bunch
Crushed Chillie Flakes:3 Tsp
Mustard Seed/Rai Dana:3 Tsp
Salt:3 tsp( As Required )
Water: As Required
1.Peel Shaljam/Turnips and cut in 4 pieces, boil them(check with a fork, it should be soft enough).set aside.
2.Grind garlic and chilli flakes to make a smooth paste or chatni, add salt.
3.Crush Mustard seed in a morsel.Mixed it with chatni paste
4. Rub the chatni paste into turnip cubes and store it in an air-tight glass/ceramic jar.
5. Leave it for 3 days overnight.
6. On the 3rd day, take 5-6 glass of water and bring it to boil and let it cool down completely.
7. Now slowly add water in that shaljam achar as required. Leave it for 2 days more.
8. It’s ready to eat with your daal chawal to sabzi…Enjoy!!
Let me know if you make it or let me know a recipe if You know how to make it.